Third Trimester: The Home Stretch

 The Home Stretch 


Well, you’ve made it this far, and I am so proud of you. It hasn’t been easy, but you are in the home stretch. The end of your pregnancy is nearing, and I urge you to soak up each moment. If you are like me you have likely gotten used to having someone with you wherever you go, and not having to share your baby with anyone else, including your partner. I don’t know why but this was such a jarring feeling for me, having to share her with the rest of the world. 


So far you have been the only person that your baby truly knows and preparing your heart for your baby’s arrival is important. And I can’t tell you enough how much worth this journey will be. The stretch marks will come and fade, the heartburn will soon subside, and your hair will likely fall out, but in the end, you will have a sweet little version of yourself and your person. One of the most magical feelings I have ever felt. 


Okay, enough of the sappiness, there will be plenty of time for that. Let's figure out what you need to get done because this baby is coming whether you are ready or not, so let's get you ready. 


I would also like to mention your OBGYN is a great resource so use them, and ask all the questions. They have the answers, and if they don’t they can find them. You will be seeing them more frequently this month while setting up your birth plan. It is important when making this birth plan that you consult your OBGYN throughout the entire process and that the most important thing is that you and your baby are safe and healthy in the end. Other than that everything else can go out the window. 



Getting prepared for the baby is a massive component of this trimester. 


Do you have a car seat? Rear-facing, I used the Chicco Keyfit, it is affordable and easy to clean. Yes, you will want the pumpkin seat, The baby will spend a lot of time here for the first 7 months of their life unless you expect to never leave your house, which I do not recommend, you will go crazy. 


Breast pump, are you planning on breastfeeding? If you want to try, many insurance companies will provide you with a breast pump. I recommended the Spectra, it is the closest you will get to a hospital-grade pump. If your insurance doesn’t cover the Spectra, the Medela is the next best. I would suggest ordering this earlier than later because it can take a while for them to come in. Because no one wants to be a manual milking machine the day after you give birth. 


If you don’t have a place for the baby to sleep figured out, I would make this your top priority, getting the nursery together and purchasing a bassinet (I’m sorry, I will not support Co-sleeping, I’ve seen too many dead babies brought into the ER at 5:00 am to support that, if you have questions about this experience, we can discuss in another post). It doesn’t matter which bassinet you choose. I like the one that can come right up to your bed, those 2 a.m. feeds though, no one wants to get up and walk the baby back and forth all night. I’m just being honest. 


Stay with me Mama I know it is a lot, but that is what I am here for.  Making a list of things to do to check off will help organize your mind as well. 


Next, baby preparation, are you having a baby shower? Start making a list of newborn must-haves. Consult your mom friends, or read my newborn must haves baby checklist for shower ideas. This list is pretty lengthy, babies need a lot of stuff for how small they are. My newborn must-haves will be in the post following this one. 


Hospital bag, Pack your hospital bag way earlier than you think you will need it, I recommend 1-2 weeks before your due date, just so you aren’t frantically throwing one together once your water breaks. It's messy and stressful and no fun. The hospital bag should have the essentials for you and for the baby, you shouldn’t need too much, because the hospital should have all the must-haves that you and baby will need right after birth. 


These last few months will fly by, so don't worry, enjoy feeling those little kicks and movements as much as you can. Take pictures of your growing belly, and write it all down, your experience, what your days were like. Keep the ultrasounds so one day when they ask you will have answers to give them.


Congratulations Mama, this is just the end of your new beginning.


See You Soon,

Midwest Mama


Comments

Popular Posts